Stillwater Village Hall is located at 1 School Street, Stillwater NY 12170; phone: 518-664-6258.
Stillwater began to develop following the close of the Revolutionary War. The Village of Stillwater was incorporated in 1816. Growth and prosperity were greatly stimulated by the building and opening of the Champlain Canal between Waterford and Whitehall (1822/1823). Warehouses, stores, inns and taverns served the canal trade; local agricultural and manufactured products were shipped to distant markets via the Champlain Canal. Stillwater remained an important commercial center for the surrounding region into the early 20th century.
With the growth of Stillwater, various religious societies proceeded to organize and erect houses of worship. A Baptist society erected a timber frame, Greek Revival meetinghouse in 1836 on land donated for the purpose by Ephraim Newland.
The decline of Champlain Canal commerce in the early 20th century had a profound effect upon communities along its route, including Stillwater as population began to decline.