Saratoga Town Hall is located at 12 Spring Street, Schuylerville NY 12871; phone: 518-695-3644.
Saratoga was formed as a district March 24, 1772, and as a town March 7, 1788. Easton (Washington County) was taken off in 1789, a part of Greenfield in 1793, Northumberland in 1798, a part of Malta in 1802, and Saratoga Springs in 1819. It lies upon the Hudson near the center of the eastern border of the county. Along the Hudson are narrow alluvial flats bordered by high clay bluffs. Saratoga Lake forms a portion of the western boundary. Fish Creek, the outlet of the lake, flowing through the northern part of the town, is the principal stream.
The settlement of the town was commenced in the early part of the 18th century along the Hudson River. In 1755 a fort was erected at the mouth of Fish Creek, by the French under Baron Dieskan. It was one of the defenses against the English under Sir William Johnson. It was abandoned by the French and named by the English Fort Hardy, in honor of Sir Charles Hardy, who was that year appointed Governor of New York.
During the Revolution, General Philip Schuyler had a residence and mills near Fish Creek.
When established in 1788 the population of Saratoga Town was about 100 residents. By 1870 it had grown to approximately 1,500.