Providence Town Hall is located at 7187 Barkersville Road, Middle Grove, NY 12850; phone: 518-882-6541.
Providence was formed from Galway in 1796, and Edinburgh was taken off in 1801. It lies near the center of the western border of the county. In 1871 there were 12 saw mills, a woolen factory, a tannery, two grist mills, two chair manufactories, a rake factory, a wooden ware factory and a glove manufacturer.
The first settlement was made prior to the Revolution but the settlers were driven off during the war. Among the first settlers after the war were Nathaniel Wills and Seth Kellog. The first saw mill was erected in 1786 by a man named Corey, and the first grist mill was built by the same man soon after.