Galway Town Hall is located at 5910 Sacandaga Road, Galway NY 12074; phone: 518-882-6070.
Named for the native place of the first settlers, was formed from Ballston, March 7, 1792. Providence was taken off in 1796. It lies on the west border of the county, south of the center. The north half is occupied by a group of rounded hills forming the southern continuation of the Kayaderosseras Mountains. The surface of the south half is gently undulating. The principal streams are head branches of Feegowesee and Galderwood Creeks, and Mourning Creek.
The town was first settled in 1774 by immigrants from Scotland. Among them were John and James Major, John McClelland, William, Robert and Alexander Kelsey, and John McHarg, all of who came over in the same ship in 1774. Reverend Simeon Smith, from Centerbrook, came into town in 1778 and located near Yorks Corners. Mr. Smith was accompanied by his parents and three brothers-in-law, Simeon Babcock, Reuben Mattison, and Joseph Brown. Simeon Smith formed the first religious society (Baptist) in 1779.