Suffern Village Hall is located at 61 Washington Avenue, Suffern NY 10901; phone: 845-357-2600.
The first land owner in the area of the village of Suffern was John Van Buskirk who obtained a mill site on the Mawhah River in 1762. The village itself had its origins in a store established in 1763 at the intersection of the Goshen and Minisink Roads by John Suffern of Antrim, Ireland. Suffern began to purchase land within the area that was to become the future village of Suffern and undertook the operation of a number of enterprises; first, a grist mill, then a potash works, later, a forge, and finally, a woolen mill. John Suffern named the tiny hamlet New Antrim, but with the opening of the New York and Erie Railroad in 1841, the village was renamed in honor of its founder. In the 20th century Suffern became a commuter village for New York City, and the local shopping center for many city people who had summer homes nearby. The first post office in Rockland County was established in Suffern in 1797.