Photo: Jacob Blauvelt House, ca. 1834, 20 Zukor Road, New City, NY. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985. Photographed by user:Alexisrael, 2009, (own work) [cc-by-3.0 (creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons, accessed August, 2015.
Though New City is not an incorporated municipality (it is a hamlet within the Town of Clarkstown) we elevate here given its status as the county seat of Rockland. In 1860, besides the county buildings, New City contained a church and about 28 dwellings. By the year 2007, New City contained about 40% of the population of the Town of Clarkstown [about 35,000 residents].
- French, J.H., Gazetteer of the State of New York: Embracing a Comprehensive View of the geography, Geology, and General History of the State ..., Ira J. Friedman Inc., Port Washington, NY 1860
**Information is curated from a variety of sources and, while deemed reliable, is not guaranteed.
Copyright © 1997-2018 • The Gombach Group • www.gombach.com
• 1349 • Privacy