Clarkstown Town Hall is located at 10 Maple Avenue, New City NY 10956; phone: 845-639-2000.
Clarkstown was established in March of 1791 from Haverstraw. Until Rockland County was created in 1798, it was part of Orange County.
The Hudson River borders the town on the east, and the Hackensack River flows south near its center. In 1860 the principal villages were New City which then contained about 28 dwellings in addition to the county buildings, Nanuet (formerly Clarkstown Station) a village of about 20 dwellings, Clarksville (about 18 dwellings) and Dutch Factory which had a cotton factory and two yarn factories.