North Greenbush Town
North Greenbush Town Hall is located at 2 Douglas Street, Wynantskill NY 12198; phone: 518-283-5313.
The town of North Greenbush was erected from Greenbush February 23, 1855. The principal stream is Wynants kill which rises in the town of Sand Lake and passes in a northwesterly direction through the northeastern corner of the town, affording splendid water power at Albia in the southeastern part of the City of Troy. The town was first settled by tenants under the Van Rensselaers as early as or before 1640. Among those who first established homes within the limits of the town were Cornelius M. Van Buren, Rinier Van Alstyne, John Crannell, Juriah Sharpe, Philip De Freest, Martin De Freest, David De Freest, Cornelius M. Vandenberg, Philip Wendell, Rutgert Vandenberg, Lawrence Rysdorp, Edward Hogg, John Fonda and others. Rinier Van Alstyne lived near what has since been called Blooming Grove. His brother Jacob settled in the town at about the same time. Others who settled near him soon afterward were the three De Freest brothers. David Scott lived in the northwestern part of the town. Among those who located in the town in the latter part of the 18th century were the Bloomendale, Hawk, Haynor, Berringer, Sharpe, De Freest, Riley, Conker, Van Etten, Bratt, Earl, Schelp, Bennet and Warner families. The first of the numerous Dearstyne family to settle in the town was John Dearstyne, who settled in or near Bath about 1795 or 1796. He had eight children, Lawrence, Abram, Henry, Samuel, George, John, Sarah and Elizabeth. About the same time Henry Kinney came from Dutchess County and located in the northeastern part of the town. From 1802 to 1806 he kept a tavern at Wynantskill. Peter Sharp lived near him and Frederick and Coonrady Berringer (or Barringer) settled a short distance south of him. Henry Frazee, who settled in the town in 1813 or 1814, was one of the most prominent men in the town in those days, and for 60 years was a justice of the peace.