Castleton-on-Hudson Village Hall is located at 85 South Main Street, Castleton NY 12033; phone: 518-732-2211.
Incorporated in 1826. In 1926 village residents voted to change the name to Castleton-on-Hudson. The village was reincorporated under that name in 1928. Castleton was named after Castle Hill, east of the village, on which was once located the chief Indian castle of the locality. Following the first settlers in the area were Captain Eslik, James L. Hogeboom, Joseph Proseus, Jabez Robinson, George Noyes and Nathan Noyes.
At the time it was incorporated, the village contained about 25 houses and 100 inhabitants. One of the earliest stores was located on the dock extending into the Hudson River and was kept by Livingston, Hurd & Company. Another store was owned by Daniel Wilcox. Still others were kept by Mr. Gregory and Mr. McCloskey, Sybl & Hogeboom, and later, J. W. Van Hoesen. One of the earliest taverns was kept by Joseph Proseus. Later tavern-keepers were Jeremiah Gage, Jabez Robinson and Manasseh Knowlton.
The first village meeting, held in May of 1828, was presided over by William Fitch, justice of the peace.
A bank was organized in 1865, the National Bank of Castleton.