Middlefield Town Hall is located at 3717 County Highway 35, Cooperstown NY 13326; phone: 607-547-5093.
Middlefield was set off from the old town of Cherry Valley in 1797. Settlement began in the town about 25 years before the Revolutionary War, and only 15 years after John Lindsay planted the standard of civilization in the wilds of Cherry Valley. Among the first settlers were Alexander, Benjamin, Daniel and Reuben McCollum, Samuel and Andrew Wilson, William Cook, Andrew Cameron, Andrew Cochran, and a Mr. Hall. They settled in the north part of town near Middlefield Center.
The first meeting of the newly created Town of Middlefield was held on April 4th, 1787. The following officers were elected: Samuel Griffen, supervisor; Thomas Jones, town clerk; Andrew Wilson, Stephen Smith, and Moses Rich, commissioners of highways; Samuel Griffen, Lewis Edson, and Robert Campbell, commissioners of schools; Robert Dickson, William Binn, and George Boid, assessors; Daniel McCollum and Obadiah Durham, overseers of the poor; Abraham Fling and Abner Dunham, constables; Abraham Fling, collector; Daniel Rice and John Smith, fence viewers; William Binn, pound master.