Gilbertsville Village Hall is located at 3 Vale Road, Gilbertsville NY 13776; phone: 607-783-2440.
Founded and first settled in 1786 by Abijah Gilbert of Warwickshire England and his family, Gilbertsville grew to be a prosperous business community through the mid-nineteenth century. Prosperity came from income of such establishments as a tavern, blacksmith shop, tanner, woolen factory, grist mill, general store, mercantile concern, shoemaker, and millinery shop. According to local tradition, the village, famous for its hospitality, was the largest stop on the stage coach line which ran north-south between the junction of the Unadilla and Susquehanna Rivers to Utica. In the 1890s and early 1900s Gilbertsville sustained itself as a resort area to which city-dwellers might escape.