Warwick Village Hall is located at 77 Main Street, Warwick NY 10990; phone: 845-986-2031.
The land on which Warwick Village is situated was originally a Minisink Indian settlement and later part of the Wawayanda patent granted to Dr. John Bridges and others by the colonial authorities in 1702. This portion subsequently became part of the estate owned by Benjamin Aske, who named it in memory of his ancestral village of Warwick, England. By 1719 the area was referred to in deeds as Warwick, though it was administratively a part of the Goshen Precinct. It officially became a town in 1788 and included an area considerably larger than the Aske estate and the present village.
Warwick's earliest white settlers were principally English, Dutch, Swiss, and French Huguenots. Many of their descendants still reside in the village and town and play an active role in the community. Colonel Charles Beardsley purchased the Aske estate in about 1746 and laid the foundations for a village. It evolved from a point where two roads joined and continued southward into Sussex, New Jersey.
One road was a Kings's Highway (Colonial Avenue), opened in 1735 following the ancient Wawayanda Path that connected Algonquin meeting grounds on the Hudson River near Newburgh with Philadelphia. Historically, because of mountain barriers, travellers from the area to New York City went overland on the King's Highway to Newburgh and thence sailed down the Hudson. The King's Highway also joined the Ramapo Trail, now N. Y. State Route 17, which provided access to eastern New Jersey. The other road extended north through the towns of Florida, Goshen, and Montgomery and into Ulster County.