Solvay Village Hall is located at 100 Woods Road, Solvay, NY 13209; phone: 315-468-1651.
The Solvay area was within the former Central New York Military Tract, but Solvay was in a location reserved for members of the Onondaga tribe. The village was initially founded in 1794 by James Geddes and was initially called "Geddesville." The first residents were mostly Irish, subsequently joined by South Tyrolians and Poles. Eventually the community became known for its population largely Italian in extraction. It still retains a large segment (about 35-percent in 2005) of population of Italian descent.
More recently many families of Ukrainian descent have settled in the village. The Village of Solvay was renamed, after 1884, when the Solvay Process Company built a Solvay process plant to produce soda ash. The Village of Solvay was incorporated in 1895. Other major businesses of Solvay included Frazier & Jones, a foundry; Crucible Steel, producer of specialty steels; Iroquois Pottery (Solvay China); and Pass & Seymour, producing electrical wiring devices. The Solvay Process plant, by then owned by Allied Chemical and Dye Corporation, closed in 1985. The community has remained stable despite this loss.