Salina Town Hall is located at 201 School Road, Liverpool, NY 13088; phone: 315-457-2710.
The Salina region was in the domain of the Onondaga tribe and later was within the Central New York Military Tract, although it was reserved for members of the Onondaga. Salina received its name in 1797, when the Surveyor General received authority to set aside a portion of the Salt Reservation for use in salt manufacture. The Salt Reservation had been created by a treaty with the Native Americans. It extended one mile around Onondaga Lake. In 1798, the Village of Salina was chartered. It was located in what is now the Washington Square neighborhood or "First Ward" of the current City of Syracuse and contained sixteen blocks. Each block was divided into four house lots, selling according to law, for no less than forty dollars. The area now known as the Town of Salina was still part of the Townships of Manlius and Marcellus. In March 1809, the Town of Salina was organized. It included the areas now known as the Town of Geddes (formed 1848), part of Manlius and the City of Syracuse.
Salina's location on the Erie Canal stimulated its industrial development. The middle section of the canal, from Salina to Utica was the first to open in 1820. It was not until the late 1840s that Salina was reduced to its present size. The original Village of Salina stretched around Onondaga Lake, incorporating part of what is now the Town of Geddes and much of what today is the City of Syracuse. The early history of Salina is actually the history of the area around Onondaga Lake and the salt industry.
By 1846, it was apparent that Syracuse would soon become a city. The townspeople of Salina and Syracuse began discussing a proposed charter, which would unify the two villages. In December 1847, the act of incorporation was passed, which defined the area as "constituting a part of the Town of Salina and incorporation the Village of Salina and Syracuse." This act reduced the Town of Salina to its present boundaries.