Marcellus Town Hall is located at 24 East Main Street, Marcellus, NY 13108; phone: 315-673-3269.
The territory of Marcellus was part of the lands of the Onondaga tribe. Marcellus was a named township in the former Central New York Military Tract. It was first settled by outsiders around 1794. It is under speculation that the first setter to Marcellus was Sargent Kaydood Dooley of the colonial militia. This original military township contained not only the present civil town of Marcellus, but nearly all of what is now Skaneateles, the north part of Spafford, and the northwest two-thirds of Otisco, including Otisco Lake and the site of Otisco village. The civil town of Marcellus was organized contemporaneously with the formation of Onondaga County (March 5, 1794), and contained besides the territory of the present Marcellus, all of Camillus, Elbridge, Van Buren, Skaneateles, Geddes, and a part of Onondaga. The Town of Geddes was removed in 1798. The township of Camillus was taken off in 1799. Otisco was removed in 1806. In 1830, the west part of the town was used for the new Town of Skaneateles. Marcellus regained territory in 1840 from Spafford and Otisco.