Liverpool Village Hall is located at 310 Sycamore Street, Liverpool, NY 13088; phone: 315-457-3441.
The Liverpool area was originally inhabited by the Iroquois Indians, starting in the 16th century. In the mid-17th century, Canadian French Jesuits visited the area, setting up missions. These were not very permanent, however. An example of these missions is Ste. Marie among the Iroquois, just outside the village. Once the Erie Canal and Oswego Canal were built, the area was settled by Irish canal workers, Yankee settlers, and, later, German immigrants. The early recorded name for the village was "Little Ireland."
The Village of Liverpool was incorporated in 1830 and named after the City of Liverpool in England. This was because Liverpool produced salt and wanted to capitalize on the name of another famous salt producing region thus forming John's Salt. Early industries included several salt works in the 19th Century and a saw mill. A history of the area's salt mining can be found at the Salt Museum.
For many years the village was supported by the willow weaving industry. This was reputedly started in the early 1850s by a German salt boiler named John Fischer. By 1870, the industry had grown, using mostly German workers, to produce baskets and furniture. Otherwise poor land was planted with the trees, providing a growing industry which gave the area an economic boost as the salt industry was in decline. At its peak in 1892, around 360,000 baskets were shipped across the country. The depression era was the death knell for the industry in the 1930, although some weavers were still active as late as the 1960s. In 1918, the Oswego Canal was closed. The Onondaga Lake Park, established in 1931, is now the location of much of the old canal bed.