LaFayette Town Hall is located at 2577 Route 11, LaFayette, NY 13084; phone: 315-677-3674.
The town is within the former Central New York Military Tract, but was partly in an area reserved for members of the Onondaga tribe. The first settler arrived around 1797. Land was purchased from the Onondagas in April 1817 and resold to settlers in 1822. The Town of LaFayette was formed in 1825 from parts of the Towns of Pompey and Onondaga. It was named from the Marquis de La Fayette, who was at that time here, passing through the county early in June.