Amsterdam Town Hall is located at 283 Mainnys Corners Road, Amsterdam NY 12010; phone: 518-842-7961.
First settled around 1710 by German Palatines, Amsterdam was incorporated in 1793 from Caughnawaga. They were sent under the patronage of Queen Anne of England, and Holland Dutch, from Schenectady and other parts, who settled along the Mohawk about the same time. Little is know about the earliest settlers. Probably the first patent issued in Amsterdam was for 20 acres to Geraldus Camfort, in April of 1703. Ebenezer Wilson and John Abeel were issued a patent (half to each) called the "Chacksandacte Patent" 1706. But there is no evidence that these patentees ever settled on the land.