Hamilton Village Hall is located at 3 Broad Street, Hamilton NY 13346; phone: 315-824-1111.
Hamilton was a part of the Indian domain until the close of the Revolutionary War in 1783. The town of Hamilton was established in 1795 and Madison County in 1806. The village's first settler was Samuel Payne, who arrived in 1794 and was soon followed by others attracted to the rich timber, game, and water resources the region offered. Elisha Payne, Samuel's brother, opened the first tavern on the crossroads, donated land for a park, and directed the survey for house lots; he is thus honored as the village's founder. By 1811, Payne's settlement included two taverns, three stores, a school, Baptist Meeting House, and twenty-five dwellings. In 1816 the village of Hamilton was incorporated adopting the name of Elisha Payne's hero, the statesman Alexander Hamilton.