Dansville Village Hall is located at 14 Clara Barton Street, Dansville NY 14437; phone: 585-335-5330.
The Village of Dansville was incorporated on May 7, 1845. It's name was derived from Daniel P. Faulkner, an early settler, popularly known as "Captain Dan," hence Dansville or village. It lies near the head of Canaseraga Creek, and the head of the valley. The branch or southerly stem of the Genesee Valley Canal terminates here.
Captain Dan Faulkner seems to have been a man of great enterprise. He brought several families with him, assisted in erecting the first saw mill, brought the first load of dry goods by sleigh from Albany, and formed the first militia company, a troop of grenadiers, and secured the necessary equipment for them from the Governor. Another early settler was Colonel Nathaniel Rochester.