Le Ray Town
Le Ray Town Hall is located at 8650 Leray Street, Evans Mills NY 13637; phone: 315-629-4052.
The Town of Le Ray was incorporated February 17, 1806. At the first town meeting Thomas Ward was elected clerk and Thomas Thurston was elected constable and tax collector.
Early settlers included Benjamin Brown who in 1802 built a saw mill on Pleasant Creek in the vicinity of the village of Le Rayville. His wife followed and was the first woman settler in the area. Other early settlers (1803-1804) were Joseph Child and sons (Daniel, Samuel, and Moses), Benjamin Kirkbride, and Thomas Ward. The first practicing physician came about 1808, Dr. Horatio Orvis.