Evans Mills Village
Evans Mills Village Hall, 8707 Noble Street, Evans Mills NY 13637; phone: 315-629-4753.
Evans Mills is a small but pleasant village, situated at the junction of West and Pleasant Creeks, the latter of which affords a limited amount of water power, and is one mile from Indian River. It owes its name to Ethni Evans, a millwright from Hinesdale, New Hampshire, who came into the country in the employment of Jacob Brown about 1802, and in July of 1804 purchased a tract of 192 acres for $577. About 1805 or 1806, construction of mills began and in 1809 the place contained a saw mill, a grist mill and a small tavern. The first merchant and innkeeper in the village was Jenison Clark. A post office was established about 1823-1824, which, in 1846 had its name changed to Evansville, and in 1851, back to the original name of Evans Mills. In 1854 the village contained two inns, three stores, two groceries, one hardware store, three blacksmith shops, one cabinet shop, two wagon shops, one grist mill, one saw mill, a variety of mechanics, four physicians, about 60 dwellings, and between 300 and 400 inhabitants.