banner search whats new site index home

Russia Town

Russia Town Hall is located at 8916 North main Street, Poland NY 13431; phone: 315-826-3432.

Beginnings [1]

The town of Russia (originally formed as Union in April, 1806) received its current name in 1808. The hamlet of Russia Corners grew up around the road juncture anchored by the tavern and general store then located in the Samuel White House. Lured by the promise of cheap and abundant land, a surge of New Englanders moved into the region during the first quarter of the nineteenth century.

  1. Raymond W. Smith, New York State Office of Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation, Russia Corners Historic District, nomination document, 1996, National Park Service, National Register of Historic Places, Washington, D.C.
Information is deemed reliable but not guaranteed. • Privacy
Copyright © 1997-2016 • The Gombach Group • • 16198