Poland Village Hall is located at 9 Case Street, Poland, NY 13431; phone: 315-826-3141. The village was incorporated in 1890.
Settlement in this vicinity was not made until 1800 or a little later. Among the pioneers of the locality were Nathan Burwell, Samuel Wright, Daniel Swezey, Ebenezer Newman, Michael De Groff, Jesse Brayton, George Arnold, Uriah and Cornelius Schermerhorn, Silas Beebe, Samuel Giles, Moses Mather, Amos Beebe, James King, William Truman, Samuel Newberry, Jenks Benchley, Nathum Daniels, Daniel Jones, James Trask, John Gorton, James M. Dexter, and the Terry family.
The first school house in Poland was erected in 1798. The first grist mill was built by Moses Mather. He also built saw mills as well as facilities for turning wood and forging iron by water power. Michael De Groff built a saw mill about 1802. The first tannery was established by Jenks Benchley in 1817. Nathan Burwell was the first blacksmith. William and George Harrison established an iron foundry. Daniel A. Sprague began manufacturing wagons. Uriah Schermerhorn and his brother Cornelius were early boot and shoe makers.
The first store in Poland was built by Samuel Wright. Robbins Reed started a store in 1872. The Bank of Poland was organized that same year. A post office was established in 1838 with Joseph Benchley as postmaster. Nathan Burwell kept the first public tavern.