banner search whats new site index home

Stafford Town

Stafford Town Hall is located at 8903 Route 237, Stafford NY 14143; phone: 585-344-1554.

Beginnings [1]

Stafford has the best claim, we think, of being the locality of the earliest settlement on the Holland Purchase. James Brisbane, the first merchant on the Purchase, came here in 1798, with a load of goods, or supplies, for the surveyors employed by Mr. Ellicott, and opened a store-house or station at this place, from which event it was called Transit store-house. In the spring of 1799 James Dewey, one of the surveyors, was waiting there with a gang of hands to start upon an expedition as soon as the weather would permit. At the request of Mr. Brisbane he cleared 10 acres of land west of the Transit, which was mainly sowed with oats. This is supposed to be a portion of laned owned by I. M. Peck, whose father, Richard, bought the property from Joseph Ellicott.

In 1802 Colonel William Rumsey, from Hubbardton Vermont, came and settled on "Stafford Hill," the highest point of land in the town. He was a surveyor in the employ of Joseph Ellicott, and a colonel of the militia, and represented the county in the legislature. Joseph Rumsey also came with his father that same year. Nathan Marvin bought a tract of land at Transit (Stafford) in 1803. John Debow settled on a farm here in 1804. General Worthy Lovell Churchill located near Rumsey. Zenas Bigelow located on a farm in 1804. Other settlers came in the years following, among them were D. Hall in 1808, and in 1809 Eben Egglestwn, who kept a Tavern on the Big Tree or Leicester Road.

The Town was formed March 24, 1820, being formed from parts of Le Roy and Batavia.

  1. Beers, F. W., Gazetteer and Biographical Record of Genesee County, N.Y. 1788-1890, J, W, Vose &l Co., Publishers, Syracuse, 1890.
Information is deemed reliable but not guaranteed. • Privacy
Copyright © 1997-2016 • The Gombach Group • www.gombach.com • 17517