Batavia Town Hall is located at 3833 West Main Street Road, Batavia NY 14020; phone: 585-343-1729.
The first settlers in the township were Isaac Sutherland who erected a log house on his farm two miles west of Batavia Village, and Colonel William Rumsey and General Worthy L. Churchill who settled in the eastern part of the town. Others were John Lamberton, Samuel F. Greer, and Benjamin Morgan. The first town meeting was held at Vandeventer's tavern March 1, 1803. Peter Vandeventer was elected town supervisor.
When Genesee County was established in 1802, the Town of Batavia included the entire Holland Purchase. Up until 1812 a rapid influx of settlers resulted in Alexander, Bergen, Bethany and Pembroke Towns being taken off. Elba and Stafford were taken off in 1820.