Alabama Town Hall is located at 2218 Judge Road, Oakfield NY 14125; phone: 585-948-9341.
Alabama was erected from Shelby, Orleans County, April 17, 1826 and originally called "Gerrysville," in honor of Elbridge Gerry, ex-vice-president. The name was changed to Alabama (signifying "here we rest"), April 21, 1828, and in 1832 a portion of the town of Wales, Erie County, was annexed. The Tonawanda Creek flows through the southwest and west portions of the town.
The earliest settlement in the town of which we have any record is that of James Walsworth, in 1806, who also kept the first tavern, whose children, twins, were the first born in the town.