Wappinger Town Hall is located at 20 Middlebush Road, Wappingers Falls NY 12590; phone: 845-297-5771.
The town of Wappinger was carved from the Town of Fishkill on May 20, 1875. It lies along the western border of the county and is bounded on the north by LaGrange, on the south by Fishkill Town, on the east by Sprout Creek, and on the west by the Wappinger Creek and Hudson River.
The first settlement in the area was at the mouth of Wappinger Creek, when settlers from the Massachusetts Bay Colony attempted to establish homes. However, the project was abandoned because overland access was too difficult and the Dutch authorities denied permission for right of passage through the Hudson River.
Early settlers included brothers Nicholas and Adolphus Brewer from Holland, who built and operated two prosperous mills (saw mill and flour mill) several years prior to the American Revolution.