McGraw Village Hall is located at 1 Cemetery Street, McGraw NY 13101; phone: 607-836-6294.
McGraw, located in the Military Tract of central New York, was first settled c.1806 by Samuel McGraw of Vermont. McGraw built a log cabin (no longer standing) west of the Main Street Historic District on the south side of the Norwich to Cortland Road and was followed by Jonathan Taylor and a handful of other New Englanders during the following two decades. McGrawville, as the settlement later came to be known, grew up on either side of the road near McGraw's initial homestead, taking advantage of water power on the adjacent Trout Brook to drive an early grist mill (1812) and a sawmill. An ashery was established at an early date to profit from the clearing of new farmlands in the surrounding area, and in 1818, the hamlet acquired its first store. In 1823, a cemetery was established within the boundary of the Main Street Historic District, and, by 1830, ten houses had been built within the small settlement.