Homer Village Hall is located at 31 North Main Street, Homer NY 13077; phone: 607-749-3322.
Located on an increasingly busy east-west transportation corridor, Homer had the benefit of location in the early nineteenth century. Jedediah Barber, an early resident and entrepreneur, helped establish the village of Homer as a commercial center as early as 1812. Barber, interested in all facets of village life, built many elegant homes within Homer village. He helped establish Cortland Academy, many of the local churches, the Agricultural Fair and a bank. He also agitated for better roads and a railroad. A second spur of development occurred in Homer following the opening of the Erie Canal in 1825. Subsequent commercial and industrial activities included the manufacture of oil cloth, wagons, carriages, spring wagon gears and writing ink. Today, Homer remains a viable village with a still prosperous commercial center although it has become a suburb of the city of Cortland, three miles to the south.