Copake Town Hall is located at 230 Mountain View Road, Copake, NY 12516; phone: 518-329-1234.
The earliest settlers to the Copake area were of Dutch and German decent. In 1753, a Dutch captain enticed a group of sailors onto his ship sailing to New York. Upon arrival in New York these men found they could not pay for their voyage and were indentured to the Livingston's estate. They were put to work in the iron mines of the Copake area and upon completion of their debt repayment were offered leases on land parcels of the Livingston Manor, in the area now known as Copake.
Copake was originally part of the Town of Granger which in 1824 was divided into two towns; Taghkanic to the west, and Copake to the east. Due to the large expanses of flat, fertile land this area has a history of being an agricultural community. Some of the earliest settlers in the area were members of the Dinehart family, whose relatives, the Langdons, continued farming on land just west of Copake into the 21st century.