Chatham Town Hall is located at 488 State Route 295, Chatham NY 12037; phone: 518‑392‑1655. The Chatham Village Historical Society is located at 32 Main Street, Chatham NY 12037; phone: 518‑392‑9236.
Chatham was formed from Canaan and Kinderhook in 1795. It lies near the center of the north border of the county.
The principal streams are Kinderhook Creek and Steeny Creek. These waterways served no less than 11 paper mills in 1871. The population in 1870 was 2,426, excluding Chatham Village.