Plattsburgh Town Hall is located at 151 Banker Road, Plattsburgh NY 12901; phone: 518-562-6833.
The town was first organized April 4, 1785. A part of Peru was taken off in 1792, Beekmantown in 1820, Saranac in 1824, and Schuyler Falls in 1848. It lies upon Lake Champlain, a little south of the eastern border of the county. It is principally drained by the Saranac River and its tributaries.
The firs settlement was made before the Revolution, by Charles de Fredenburgh and several associates, under royal grants. During the war the settlers were driven off and improvements were destroyed. In 1785 a tract of 7 square miles was granted to Zephaniah Platt and 32 associates, who had bought up military land warrants. The first 3 families who settled under this grant were those of Charles Platt, Charles McCreedy, and Kinner Newcomb. Nathaniel Platt was the first surveyor and agent for the proprietors. A farm of 80 acres was offered to each of the first 10 settlers in the town.