Otselic Town Hall, PO Box 275, South Otselic NY 13155.
In 1817, the town of Otselic was formed from the town of German, one of the original "Twenty Townships" included in Governor Clinton's 1792 purchase from the Oneida Indians. More remote than Chenango County's settlements on the Chenango River and Unadilla River, Otselic did not begin to develop until the second decade of the nineteenth century. Growth, though slow, was steady until the end of that century. Natural resources—timber, fertile valleys, and abundant water—encouraged agriculture and small industries. Hops, flax, and grains were grown in the lower valley areas, while cows and sheep; were raised on the hills. Saw and grist mills, tanneries, cheese factories and creameries were the region's primary industries.