Chautauqua Town Hall is located at 2 Academy Street, Mayville NY 14757; phone: 716-753-7242.
Photo: Lewis Miller Cottage, ca. 1874, located in the Chautauqua Institution Historic District, Chautauqua, NY. Miller and John Heyl Vincent (a Methodist minister) were co-founders of the Institute. Designated as a National Historic Landmark in 1965. Photographed by J. Carol Burke Jr., 1967, Historic American Buildings Survey [HABS NY-6015-1], memory.loc.gov, accessed May, 2014.
Chautauqua was formed from Batavia (in Genesee County) April 11. 1804. It was the original town and initially covered the entire county. The first settlement was made at Mayville in 1804 by Dr. Alexander McIntyre. The first church (Baptist) was also formed at Mayville, in 1820.
- French, J.H., Gazetteer of the State of New York: Embracing a Comprehensive View of the geography, Geology, and General History of the State ..., Ira J. Friedman Inc., Port Washington, NY 1860