Wellsville Village Hall is located at 156 North Main Street, Wellsville, NY 14895; phone: 585-593-4881.
The first settlement of Wellsville took place in 1831. It was named for Gardner Welles, then the largest landowner. A store, saw mill and grist mill were begun the same year. The Village of Wellsville was incorporated in 1853, after having been formed from the surrounding towns of Scio, Andover and Willing.
Before the discovery of petroleum in 1879 in nearby Triangle City, the major industry in Wellsville was leather tanning. That industry, which employed hundreds of men, was strengthened by the coming of the Erie Railroad in 1851. Tannery and lumber products helped make Wellsville a boom town in the mid 19th century.
The first post office in Wellsville was established in 1835 with Dr. George B. Jones as the first postmaster. Tradition has it that the first post office was located in the village doctor's residence on central Main Street.