Belmont Village Hall is located at 1 Schuyler Street, Belmont NY 14813; phone: 585-268-5522.
Belmont was incorporated as a village in 1853 under the name of Philipsburg in honor of Philip Church, a judge and proprietor of the Church Tract, which included the village in its boundaries. In 1870 a referendum was held to change the name and the voters decided on Belmont, a name supposedly derived from the French for "Beautiful Hills". Judge Church was one of a number of early nineteenth century landholders who tried to encourage settlement of large tracts of land in the western part of New York State. The village that became Belmont was originally laid out in 1833 and began to thrive in the 1850s after the Erie Railroad was built through the Genesee Valley. This coincided with a movement to change the county seat from Angelica to Philipsburg (Belmont) since it was more centrally located. Both villages shared county court duties until 1892 when all county functions were officially located in Belmont.