Angelica Village Hall is located at 21 Peacock Hill Road, Angelica NY 14709; phone: 585-466-7753.
One of the oldest settlements in Allegany County, the Village of Angelica has changed very little since the 19th century. Significant not only for its adaptation of a New England town plan, the village is also noted for the distinctive group of buildings around the Park Circle. Angelica played a large role in the life of the county, serving as the former county seat and the site of the annual agricultural fair.
Angelica's early history and settlement pattern are similar to other areas of western New York that were being surveyed and settled in the period following the Revolutionary War. Judge Philip Church acquired a large tract of land in payment of debts owed to his father by the French Army. Born into an illustrious family, Judge Church was the son of Angelica Schuyler Church, the eldest daughter of General Philip Schuyler, and it was for her that the village was named.
An exploratory expedition led by Moses Van Campen first surveyed the Church Tract in 1801. Evert Van Winkle, the Church's land agent, was employed to lay out the village, and in 1803 he surveyed 78 lots around the village green. In 1805 a road was cut through from the west line of Steuben County to Angelica and substantial settlement occurred in the village.