Watervliet City Hall is located at 2 Fifteenth Street, Watervliet NY 12189; phone: 518-270-3810.
The name Watervliet derives from a Dutch word meaning "stream of water" or "overflowing flats."
Watervliet was formed March 7, 1788 and included the west district of the Manor of Renesselaerwyck. (The manor was divided into the East and West Districts, March 5, 1779, the river being the separating boundary.) Rensselaerville was taken off in 1790, Coeymans in 1791, Bethlehem in 1793, Guilderland in 1803, and Niskayuna in 1809. It lies at the junction of the Hudson and Mohawk rivers in the northeast corner of the county. The Erie Canal rises by a series of 18 locks from the Hudson through the village of Cohoes, to the most northerly angle of Watervliet 3 miles above ... where it crosses the river to Saratoga County via a stone aqueduct. This is the most populous town in the state.