Menands Village Hall is located at 250 Broadway, Menands NY 12204; phone: 518-434-2922. The Erie Canal passes through the village.
Incorporated in 1924, the village is named for Louis Menand, born in France in 1807, and emigrated to america in 1837. He married in Albany in 1840, and settled in what is now Menands Village in 1842. His greenhouses resulted in the area becoming known as "Menands Gardens" long before the village was incorporated. When a Delaware and Hudson Railroad station was built along Menand's property, the area was referred to as Menand's Station.
According to Howard Menand's 1969 History of Menands, "In th early 1920s it was rumored that Albany was anxious to annex Menands. Several prominent men go together to discuss the problem and how to solve it." Thus, the die was cast that resulted in the village's incorporation in 1924.