Altamont Village Hall is located at 115 Main Street, Altamont NY 12009; phone: 518‑861‑8554.
Originally known as Knowersville, the Village of Altamont was incorporated in 1890. The Delaware and Hudson Railroad built a passenger station here in 1887. This station was the main impetus for creation of the village. The station, adjacent to the village green, is the focal point of the village center. The railroad discontinued passenger service along the line in 1964.