Carson City municipal offices are located at 201 North Carson Street, Carson City, NV 89701; phone: 775-887-2100.
Carson City, Nevada's capital, was first platted as a townsite by Abraham Curry in 1858 under the provisions of the federal "Townsite Act of 1844." When the Nevada Territory was carved from Utah in 1861, Carson City was designated as its capital, in large measure because Curry campaigned for that distinction. He had also reserved a plaza at the town's center specifically for a capitol building. Shortly thereafter, Carson City was also chosen as the county seat to the newly-formed Ormsby County, the state's smallest. [note: Ormsby County and Carson City merged in 1969 to form the Consolidated Municipality of Carson City]. In 1864, Nevada achieved statehood. In 1875 Carson City received its official city charter.