Lopatcong Township administrative offices are located at 232 South 3rd Street, Philipsburg, NJ 08865; phone: 908-213-1037.
The name Lopatcong comes from the Lenni Lenape phrase lowan peek achtu onk meaning deer's watering place in winter.
Lopatcong Township as described in 1886 
The date of the first settlement cannot be definitely ascertained, but there are evidences that the history of the township began as early as 1740, and perhaps even earlier. Among the very earliest settlers was one John Felt, who emigrated to America from the Rhine country, between Germany and France, and settled in the vicinity of the present town of Phillipsburg about 1740. It is known that he married there in 1741. He came to escape military proscription which at that time was driving so many Germans to the New World. He came to this country when about 18 years of age, and must have been the son of wealthy parents, as at that age he could hardly have acquired a fortune for himself, his extensive land purchases showing that he was well-supplied with money. The original Felt homestead remained into the family for sometime into the fourth generation.
The Shipmans, who for more than a century have figured in the history of Warren County, are also identified with the early history of Lopatcong. It is rather a peculiar and remarkable fact that a number of the pioneer properties are still in their respective family lines.
The township was formed in 1851 from Greenwich and Harmony, and was first called Phillipsburg Township. In 1868, some time after the incorporation of the Town of Phillipsburg, the name was changed to Lopatcong.
Population in 1886 was approximately 1,700.