Surf City Borough
Surf City Borough Hall is located at 813 Long beach Boulevard, Surf City, NJ 08008; phone: 609-494-3064.
Surf City was originally incorporated in 1894 under the name of Long Beach Borough. It was renamed in 1899.
Surf City as described in 1939 
Surf City is a small village with a few blocks of boardwalk, some small hotels, and modern cottages. This resort was built in 1873 around the site of the former Mansion of Health, oldest of the island hotels.
Old-time sailing masters and pilots lived here when Surf City was a port and a lumbering center. The earliest settlers on the island were whalers, who came to this spot after obtaining a grant of land in 1690. Two hundred years ago a whale watch pole, a post about 15 feet high topped with a railed platform, stood on the beach. When a whale was sighted the boats put out to make the capture. The mammals were beached, stripped, and their blubber rendered on the sand.