Little Egg Harbor Township
Little Egg Harbor Township municipal offices are located at 665 Radio Road, Little Egg Harbor, NJ 08087; phone: 609-296-7241.
Little Egg Harbor Township was created in 1841 and was then part of Burlington County. It became part of Ocean County in 1891. The original boundaries included part of Long Beach Township (separated from Little Egg Harbor in 1899) and Tuckerton Borough (incorporated as a separate municipality in 1901).
The earliest settlers were Quakers who built a Meeting House in Tuckerton about 1702. In the latter 1700s this area was a major port along the eastern seaboard, becoming the nation's 2nd port of entry to have a U.S. Customs House. By 1825, with the opening of the Erie Canal and with the building of larger ships requiring deeper water, the port of Tuckerton began to decline.
By the late 1880s the township began to develop a reputation as a resort community. The opening of the Garden State Parkway in the 1950s was followed by a significant period of development of summer homes.