Barnegat Town Hall is located at 900 West Bay Avenue, Barnegat NJ 08005; phone: 609-698-0080.
The inlet known as Barnegat Bay was name by Henry Hudson ca. 1609, whose ship set in here as he was exploring the coastline. He named it "barende-gat," which is Dutch for "inlet with breakers."
Original inhabitants were the Lenni Lenape Indians. The first white settlers who did not set down roots in this region until the mid 1700s. Among the first permanent settlers was William Cranmer from Long Island and later his son, Levi Cranmer, Timothy Ridgway, Stephen and Nathan Birdsall and Ebenezer Collins. By the 1830s, Protestant ministries were established, and during the 1860s-1880s Barnegat had a substantial shipbuilding economy.
The present day boundaries enclose approximately 35 square miles of municipal territory. The entire municipality land area is partly in the State-designated Pinelands area, and partly in the Pinelands National Reserve.