Rockaway Borough Hall is located at 1 East Main Street, Rockaway, NJ 07866; phone: 973-627-2000.
The area that would become Rockaway Borough was first settled around 1730. By 1760 Rockaway Village contained a store, a grist mill, a saw mill, a forge and a Presbyterian Meeting House. By 1776 Rockaway had perhaps 50 residents. The Morris Canal, which came through the middle of town, contributed to accelerated growth. By 1889 the U.S. census reported more than 1,000 Rockaway citizens. A Rockaway business directory from 1868 lists 2 doctors, 5 merchants, 2 manufacturers, railroad agents, mining agents and insurance agents. This period saw significant commercial development along the town's main streets.