Millstone Town Hall is located at 470 Stage Coach Road, Millstone Township NJ 08510; phone: 732-446-4249.
The Township was formed by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature on February 28, 1844 from portions of Freehold Township, Upper Freehold Township and Monroe Township. The portions of the Township taken from Monroe Township were relinquished in 1845. Portions of Millstone Township were taken, on May 29, 1937 to form the borough of Jersey Homesteads, now know as Roosevelt.
The Township's first residents were the Lenape Indians. Later the Europeans came to clear land for homesteads, which in turn became the farmlands of today. Millstone was named after the Millstone River that originates in the township. The river was first named by the Lenape Indians as the Mattawong and later renamed by early settlers as Millstone River. Seven waterways originate in this area: Millstone River, Rocky Brook, Ivanhoe Brook, Manalapan Brook, Assunpink Creek, Toms River and Doctors Creek.
The Township was originally comprised of several historic villages. They were known as Cars Tavern, Holmeson, Smithburg, Sweetman, Bergen Mills, Bairdsville, Stone Tavern, Clarksburg, and Perrineville. Clarksburg and Perrineville remain today. Clarksburg was reported to be settled in the pre-Revolutionary era by an English tanner named Clark. John Perrine purchased a large tract of land north of Clarksburg, which became known as Perrineville.