Little Silver Borough
Little Silver Borough Hall is located at 480 Prospect Avenue, Little Silver, NJ 07739; phone: 732-842-2400.
Originally a postal village by the name of Parkersville, the post office name was changed to Little Silver in 1879. Little Silver was incorporated in 1923 from part of Shrewsbury Township.
The development of Little Silver coincided with the linkage of the New York and Long Branch railroad in 1875. Previously a sleepy village whose economy was centered on fishing and agriculture, Little Silver, like many towns on New Jersey's northern shore, grew quickly to become a popular resort with the coming of the railroad in the late 1860s.
The boarding houses, cottages and small hotels that sprang up in the community from the late 1860s through the 1880s were attractive and easily accessible vacation spots for urban dwellers in New York and Philadelphia.
Despite rapid development however, Little Silver retained a "small town" ambiance and became known as a quiet, family-oriented resort, unlike busy Long Branch to the south, which had been established as a fashionable watering place by the 1840s and was booming by the 1870s.