banner search whats new site index home

Englishtown Borough

Englishtown Borough Hall is located at 15 Main Street, Englishtown NJ 07726; phone: 732-446-9235.

Prior to 1849, Englishtown was part of Freehold Township. The name "Englishtown" does not appear on maps before the Revolution, nor does it appear on deeds until the nineteenth century.

Englishtown as described in 1939 [1]

Englishtown is where Washington made his headquarters (7/27/1778) before the Battle of Monmouth. The building he used for a council with his offices was the Hulse House on Main Street, in the center of the village. Washington slept in the house, then the home of Dr. James English, the night before the battle. A great elm behind the house, under which it is said the Commander in Chief sought seclusion, is known as the Washington Elm.

Englishtown was the home of Charles H. Sanford, 19th century financier who was a pioneer in the development of Argentina. His gifts to his native village were a recreation field, a church, and the public library. Englishtown is still the home of Harry Herbert, who began playing polo on the family farm many years ago and became the father of American polo.

  1. Federal Writers' Project of the Works Progress Administration for the State of New Jersey, New Jersey: A Guide to Its Present and Past, American Guide Series, The Viking Press, 1939, New York
**Information is curated from a variety of sources and, while deemed reliable, is not guaranteed.
Copyright © 1997-2016 • The Gombach Group • • 10697 • Privacy